Monday, January 25, 2010

close(d)

i watched you as your head sunk beneath the once-still black waters of the lake.
i watched you for that split second.

then i dived in.
yanking you from the depths of the water i realized you were stuck.
thorns and icicles had wrapped around you, keeping you under.
i watched as your breath left your lungs in a huge soundless warbling bubble.

then i fought.
these icicles were nothing, easily melted with my lips, the thorns scratching you only needed gentle hands.
i watched as the thorns and ice receded, leaving your body to float blue-green before my eyes.

then i rose.
lifting you, i showed you where the surface was, where the shore was, where you could take your first new breaths of life.
i watched you breathe and open your eyes to the world above.

now i watch.
i watch you through waters green-brown as thorns rip through my skin.
i watch you breathe the damp air as i dare not breathe the damp.
i watch you.
you watched me.

-------------------------
whats with the drowning thing?

beats me.

whats with this story poem thing?

beats me.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this until the end.

    Something just doesn't seem right.
    (I think it's probably because I love you too much to see the beauty in your tragedy...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so... you didnt like how i reversed the positions? its like... a cliffhanger. or... something.

    ReplyDelete